Zucchini is a wonderful vegetable to grill during the summer months or any time of year. Its mild flavor pairs perfectly with the smoky notes imparted by your grill.
This grilled zucchini recipe also makes a great side dish or addition to kabobs, pasta salads, tacos, and more.
It's easy to prepare and cooks quickly on the grill.
- 3-4 medium zucchini (6-8 inches long)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp oil (olive, canola, vegetable, and avocado all work)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp balsamic glaze (aged balsamic vinegar also works)
- Wash the zucchini and trim off the tips.
- Cut them lengthwise at about 1/3-1/2" thick, no thinner or they will overcook.
- For small zucchini, just slice in half lengthwise.
- For large zucchini, cut in half crosswise before slicing.
- Preheat grill to medium heat, and prepare the zucchini using the PREP instructions above.
- Toss the prepared zucchini slices in the oil of your choice.
- Lightly coat the zucchini with the salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Put the zucchini on the grill. If they are long enough, lay them on the grill horizontally (across the grates) so they don't fall through. If they are still too small, you can pack them in aluminum foil pouches or use a non-stick grilling mat.
- Grill 5-6 minutes, turning halfway. You should be able to tell whether or not the zucchini are getting tender. If they are not tender after 6 minutes, put back on the grill for 2 minutes at a time until they reach the desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Hint: If you don't like balsamic or you're trying to make it kid-friendly (most children's palates don't appreciate balsamic), try ranch dressing instead!